Kindly be advised that the Unemployment Insurance Amendment Bill had been passed in the NCOP on 22 November 2016.
In summary, the Bill has the following aspects:
· Increase UIF benefits from 238 to 365 days.
· Increase maternity leave benefits to 66%, which will no longer be deducted from the mother’s unemployment insurance benefit.
· Cover workers who lost working hours due to reduced time at their work place.
· Include public servants under the UIF and thus be covered in the event of dismissal; include women, who had miscarriages during the third trimester or a
still born birth.
· Allow the family and/ or nominated beneficiary of deceased claimant to receive their benefits.
· Prohibit the charging of fees by any party (e.g. agency) to a UIF claimant for helping them submit their claims.
Please click on the link to view the Bill: